Tuesday, September 13, 2005

something more important

Well if you thought this was going to be about my wedding, be patient it is coming. But for now I have to talk about something more important. Hurricane Katrina hit one week before my wedding and because I was so engrossed in the final details the graviety of the situtation didn't even begin to sink in until I was watching CNN footage online Sunday (Sept. 4) night. I knew it was bad from the little I had seen or heard, but I had no idea how bad. Maybe I sheltered myself from the information because I am very empathetic. I was devistated after 9/11 and I didn't want to feel the same for the wedding. Now the sarrow sits firmly in my gut. 9/11 has been my day to give thanks for eveything I have for four years now, but Katrina has made me even more grateful. There is nothing in my life to complain about that even remotely compairs to what people have lost. I'm tired, but I'm alive and my loved ones are well. My house is mess again (working on it), but at least I have a house to go to home to at night, it hasn't been torn appart or flooded. I'm not enjoying being back at work after being off for so long, but least I have a way of making money. Everything at the wedding didn't go completely prefectly, but at least I got to have my wedding unlike countless others in the states effected. It was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives, but instead they lost everything they had and some lost more than things. And it's not like this is something that will be fixed in a week or two. Somethings can't be fixed or brought back and others will take countless months or possibly years to bring back anything even remotely resembling their former glory. I went New Orleans once and I remember how unique the city was. It was hard to believe that a city that different than any other place I've ever been existed in this country. Marty wanted to go there, possible for our honeymoon in January. We will find a different time to go now. It will be a very different city than the one I remember by then although more similar than it is now. The whole thing, all the devistation, just breaks my heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home